CSWIP 3.1 QUESTION AND ANSWER SERIES
1) A drawing with symbols to BS EN 22553 will show a 5mm leg filler by which of the following:
|c. (answer )||z5|
a = Design throat thickness
s = Depth of Penetration, Throat thickness
z = Leg length(min material thickness)
a = (0.7 x z)
2) Which of the following joint designs is preferred in cyclic loading condition?
|d. ( answer )||View D|
We need to know:
- The effect of a change in section ( thickness / welding cap / welding toe ), where it can be seen that the stress is locally raised at the weld toe. The illustration shows a bead-on-plate run but a full penetration weld will show the same behaviour.
- In addition, misalignment and/or distortion of the joint will cause the applied stress to be further increased, perhaps by introducing bending in the component, further reducing the expected fatigue life. A poorly shaped weld cap with a sharp transition between the weld and the parent metal will also have an adverse effect on fatigue performance.
- Fatigue cracks generally start at changes in section or notches where the stress is raised locally and, as a general rule, the sharper the notch the shorter the fatigue life – one reason why cracks are so damaging.
So, the welding cap to be removed when cyclic loading condition is an issue.
“a” lack off penetration issue
“b” weld cap to be removes as above explanation
“c” at root pass maybe has some undercut –> stress concentrating.
“d”: righ answer.
3) The number 111 is shown at the tail-end of a weld symbol reference line. According to BS EN ISO 22553, what does this number indicate?
|a. ( answer )||Welding process|
|b.||Type of welding electrode|
|d.||Total weld length|
4) According to EN 22553, if the symbol is on the identification line, where does the weld go?
|a.||On both sides|
|b.||On the arrow side|
|c. ( answer )||Opposite arrow side|
|d.||It does not matter|
5) According to AWS 2.4, where does the symbol go for welding on the arrow side?
|a. ( answer )||Below solid line|
|b.||Above solid line|
|c.||Depends on the joint|
|d.||Always weld where the arrow is pointing|
6) Asymmetrical weld symbols to EN 22553 are:
|a.||The same both sides of the arrow|
|b. ( answer )||Different each side of the arrow|
|c.||Show fillet welds only|
|d.||Show butt welds only|
7) While making a symbol for a symmetrical fillet weld ______________________________
|a.||the size does not need not be mentioned|
|b.||the length can be mentioned to the left of the symbol|
|c.||the finish is assumed to be flat|
|d. ( answer )||the broken line can be omitted|
8) Which of the following is normally true?
|a.||Impact energy is specified in N/mm2|
|b.||Heat input is specified in kJ/mm2|
|c. (answer)||Yield strength is specified in N/mm2|
|d.||Diffusible hydrogen is specified in ml|
- The ultimate tensile strength in N/mm2, p.s.i or Mpa
- Impact Energy Joules: J
- Heat input: kJ/mm
- Diffusible Hydrogen ( ml/100g ): example – Cellulosic electrodes: hydrogen content is 80-90 ml/100 g of weld metal.
9) An effective weld metal volume reduction can be achieved …
|a.||Changing from double V to single V|
|b. ( answer )||Changing from single V to single U|
|c.||Changing from double U to single V|
|d.||Changing from single J to single V|
10) The typical included angle used for MMA welding of a 15mm thick steel single “V” butt joint is most likely to be:
|c. ( answer )||70o|
Pls see next part: